Thursday, April 21, 2011

Teach them to Wake Board!

I'm no professional when it comes to wake boarding.  However, I have loved the years I've had at the lake behind a boat.  After a few years of going out with my dad, he finally let me start taking the boat out with just me and some friends.  I became the driver and on several occasions had to teach several of my friends how to wake board.  It was easy to get frustrated as they would have all the right equipment and I could explain over and over how to do it, but it is just one of those things that takes experience and trial.  They could understand the basics by me telling them but they would never get it down themselves until they got in the water and tried it. 
I sometimes feel that same frustration as I try to teach individuals about the restored gospel.  As missionaries we can explain and teach, but until they 'do' they cannot know.  Jesus Christ said "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine..."(John 7:17)  Just like a person who won't get in the water and try wake boarding will never be able to without that first step, so it is with gaining a testimony.  Until a person commits to take a step of faith and move forward, or to act,  they will be stagnate and wonder why they aren't getting an answer.
Especially at this Easter season as we reflect more deeply on the resurrection of our Lord and Savior, I'm grateful that we have a light to follow.  "I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life."(John 8:12)  To follow takes action.  Just like my friend had to act on their desire to learn to wake board, we also have to act on the desire to grow closer to our resurrected Lord Jesus Christ.  It is my prayer that we may each choose to follow the Savior in action and gain a knowledge thereby.

No comments:

Post a Comment