Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Struggle for Growth

Recently I have found myself in situations that have been a struggle for me to deal with.  I was uncomfortable with the drastic changes that came and not sure how to handle them.  Though these trials and struggles were very minor compared to most, I began to reflect on the purpose of this life and why it is that we experience trials and hard things.  While in our deepest trials we often fail to find anyone who can empathize with us.  However, those that love us will do their best to sympathize.  The one who can empathize perfectly saying, "I know what you are going through," is Jesus Christ.

A poem given by Elder M. Russel Ballard says it best;

The Mighty Oak 

A mighty Wind Blew night and day
It stole the Oak Tree's leaves away-
Then snapped its boughs and pulled its bark
Until the Oak was tired and stark-
But still the Oak Tree stood its ground
While other trees fell all around.

The weary Wind gave up and spoke
Why are you still standing Oak?
The Oak Tree said;
I know that you-
Can break every branch of mine in two-
Carry every leaf away,
Shake my limbs, and make me sway-
But I have roots
Stretched in the earth-
Growing stronger since my birth.
You'll never touch them-
For, you see, they are the deepest part me

Until today, I wasn't sure, of just how much I could endure-
But now I've found, with thanks to you-
I'm stronger than I ever knew.

I know if we will approach the adversity in our lives with the proper attitude and prayer, we will be able to see the hand of the Lord in our lives, strengthening us and helping us to learn and grow.  I'm grateful for the perspective found in the restored gospel of Jesus Christ...without it there is nothing worth having.

No comments:

Post a Comment