Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seeking a more meaningful life?

In the situations I have found myself lately, I've been brought to ponder about our ability to make correct choices and move forward with those decisions. 

What are we capable of as the children of God?

This is the beginning of a new day.  God  has given me this day to use as I will.  I can waste it---or use it for good, but what I do today is important, because I am exchanging a day of life for it!  When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever, leaving in its place something that I have traded for it.  I want it to be gain, and not loss;  good, and not evil;  success, and not failure, in order that I shall not regret the price I have paid for it.

There is only one day that you and I have to live for, and that's today.  There is nothing we can do about yesterday except repent, and there may be no tomorrow.  The thing for us to do when we arise from our beds  as God gives us a new day, is to take whatever comes to our hands, and do it to the best of our ability.

Life is 10% what happens to us and 90% what we decide to do about it.

Elder Uchtdorf illustrates well what our potential is when he gave this talk to a large group of women.  Apply its meaning to you!  less than two minutes long!










This life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to preform their labors. (Alma 34:32)

We need to be pro-active.  'Doers of the word and not hearers only.'  Nobody can think straight who does not work.  Idleness warps the mind.  Thinking without constructive actions becomes a disease.  I have generally found that a man who is good at an excuse is good at nothing else.

May we each use this priceless gift of agency or the ability to choose and do with it what our Father in Heaven would have us.  Decide now that you are not going to be a consumer, or an onlooker, but a producer.  Decide not to be a sheep,  or a hireling, but a shepherd.  I know that as we each do this, the world will become a better, happier place.  True happiness comes from righteous action!  The most happiness we can attain in this life can only come to a life that is founded upon the principles of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

(quotes used from "The Missionaries Little Quote Book")

No comments:

Post a Comment