Saturday, March 19, 2011

Commandments and Horses

A couple weeks ago I was able to do some ground work with a young colt.  I started out reviewing things his owner said he already knew.  After I got him feeling comfortable with me I began to teach him to side pass.  As I faced him toward the corral panels and began to apply pressure so he would move away from me, each time I applied pressure on his back end he would move toward me(not what I wanted).  It didn't take long for the colt and I to become frustrated.  He wanted to be obedient but he didn't know what I wanted him to do.  Had the colt know what I wanted, he would have done it from the beginning.  One of the challenges with training anything or anyone is helping them understand what is expected.

By the end of the day my thoughts were on our Heavenly Father and his commandments to us.  Most of us, like the colt, want to be obedient to our Father in Heaven.  However, if we don't know what He expects of us our efforts will only end in frustration and confusion.

I'm so grateful that the commandments are no big secret.  They have been revealed through prophets of the God and we can refer to the scriptures and modern-day prophets to know exactly what we need to do for true happiness.  the commandments are there to protect us, not restrict us.  All who fully observe the commandments of God can testify of the freedom and happiness that comes from obedience.  I know myself of that truth.

"You seldom get what you go after unless you know in advance what you want.  Indecision has often given an advantage to the other fellow because he did his thinking before hand."

May we each choose happiness by choosing to live the commandments each day of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment