Saturday, June 4, 2011

How do you know??

In a conversation I had recently, as I was telling a man of the gospel truths that I knew to be true, He asked me.  " How do you know?"  It was a simple and sincere question I had heard before and I thought of the standard answers that I tell everyone.   However, his question was so pure that it got me thinking...how do I know?...How does anyone know anything spiritual?

We know that the sun is shining when we see it.  We know someone is speaking when we hear it.  In this world if we want to know anything that is temporal then we rely on our physical senses to give us that information.  Is God going to cater to our physical senses to answer us?  He definitely could.

How will our Heavenly Father let us know He is there?  How can we know when we are receiving an answer to our prayers?

In the New Testament John tells us "26But the aComforter, which is the bHoly Ghost, whom the Father will send in my cname, he shall dteach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you."(John 14:26)

Jesus Christ tells us "8But, behold, I say unto you, that you must astudy it out in your bmind; then you must cask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your dbosom shall eburn within you; therefore, you shall ffeel that it is right.
 9But if it be not right you shall have no such feelings, but you shall have a astupor of thought that shall cause you to forget the thing which is wrong; therefore, you cannot write that which is bsacred save it be given you from me."(D&C9:8-9)

One final scripture I will share comes to us from the writings of Paul in the New Testament. Galatians 5:22 says "22But the afruit of the bSpirit is clove, djoy, epeace, flongsuffering, ggentleness, goodness, hfaith," 

When we study it out in our mind and then prayerfully seek an answer as to weather the decision we have made is correct, we can know by the fruits of the Spirit that it is right.  The Spirit of the Lord or the Holy Ghost does not throw you to the ground, punch you in the face and say "take this."  The Holy Ghost prompts so gently that we have to be paying close attention to recognize answers when they come.  Being in tune with the spirit is something that takes great effort and practice.

As I answered the man's question "How do you know?" I could say. I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that these things are true.  And not just because it was a one time thing, but I receive that same witness over and over again confirming the truths I already know.  Patient Persistence along with hope are part of the key to revelation.

I testify that anyone who is truly seeking answers or guidance from God will find it through His Spirit.  Pay attention to your feelings and to when you are feeling the 'fruits of the spirit.'

No comments:

Post a Comment